Name:
Location: midwest, United States

I was raised in a large family in a small house. My father died at a young age and my mother handled the eight of us with grace,humor and respect for our individual talents. My siblings ground me; I kept my name when I married to honor them,our mother and the common bond we share. My childhood neighbors were genuine people who were kind to me in so many little ways that I felt truly comfortable to be completely me. My husband is my partner at home and at work. Our children are growing into young adulthood and their transformation continues to amaze me. As an adult I've tried to hold fast to my roots while letting my branches shoot out in many directions. I went into medicine because it allows me to express so many parts of my personality while aiding others. Laughter has been my ally in times of joy and stress. God is very real to me and that relationship brings me strength and comfort. Yet I would not try to force my experience of God on others, that's their work to do. I truly believe that good can be found in every situation, even in suffering.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Joy of Working

I have always loved my job, it's a perfect fit for me. I like talking to a wide range of people and problem solving is a fun challenge. Practicing medicine gives me both, I'm happy doing what I do. A good deal of the job is listening, both as a way of gathering facts to work with and as a form of therapy. Patients want to tell their unique story. Even if the health problem is a common one, it's effects on a particular person might be very different from the norm and they want me to see it from their vantage point. That's the basis of empathy and being empathic is critical to the patient-physician relationship. Smarts are important, we can't get the diagnosis right without that, but without empathy the treatment plan will fall short. I think this is where primary care docs have an advantage in making treatment plans. We get to know patients over years instead of one or two visits so we are better able to "negotiate" a plan that works for them. There is joy in doing that.
I recently cut my morning hours by 30 min. I've been running late and missing lunch and this was wiping me out. Now if I am behind I am still assured some down time. I used to run much closer to the schedule but we've been encouraged to take same day double-book appointments and that means we will run late- can't be in 2 rooms at the same time. If I don't have a work-in patient then I tend to spend more time with those who do come in. Yesterday I saw a longstanding patient for a follow-up appointment. Her issues were straight forward but her husband was present and we had a chance to talk about his cancer diagnosis and how chemo was going. The conversation drifted to the fact that everyone dies and how appreciating the life one has lead really helps in facing our personal mortality. I know the three of us all benefited from the exchange. Though it had an indirect tie to the patient's health issue it had everything to do with the quality of her life and I'm glad we had the time to acknowledge that important detail in her story. Those are the visits that I find most satisfying and when I leave practice those are the exchanges that I'll miss the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home