Name:
Location: midwest, United States

I was raised in a large family in a small house. My father died at a young age and my mother handled the eight of us with grace,humor and respect for our individual talents. My siblings ground me; I kept my name when I married to honor them,our mother and the common bond we share. My childhood neighbors were genuine people who were kind to me in so many little ways that I felt truly comfortable to be completely me. My husband is my partner at home and at work. Our children are growing into young adulthood and their transformation continues to amaze me. As an adult I've tried to hold fast to my roots while letting my branches shoot out in many directions. I went into medicine because it allows me to express so many parts of my personality while aiding others. Laughter has been my ally in times of joy and stress. God is very real to me and that relationship brings me strength and comfort. Yet I would not try to force my experience of God on others, that's their work to do. I truly believe that good can be found in every situation, even in suffering.

Monday, February 14, 2005

"Who loves ya"

As I consider ending my practice of primary care medicine I am struck by the pain I feel leaving my patients. I have known many of these people for over 15 years. I've delivered their babies, casted their fractures, medicated their illnesses, held their hands. They are part of my life and I will miss them. Most will find a new patient-doc relationship that fits their needs and they'll do well. But there are a few that I worry will become lost. They have quirks or problems that make caring for them difficult. Who will love these patients and see the person and not the problems?
Every doc has patients like this and most of us learn to value them even though they drive us nuts at times. I started the day with a patient that I had not seen for years but I remembered her as scattered and needy. Today was no different but as her story unfolded I saw a strong woman who was holding things together for her children under very trying circumstances. Yet, despite her significant issues, she took the time to buy me a Valentine cookie. What a thoughtful,caring soul. A young woman came in with her child for the 3 year old's exam. All was well but it seemed like she needed reassurance about her child. She, too, brought a Valentine treat for me and her older child had written a message for me on the package. More kindness offered to me even though I'm supposed to be the care giver in these relationships.
As medical care becomes more specialized and disease specific I worry that there will be less room for compassion for the patient as a whole. The therapeutic relationship is a two-way street which I so clearly experienced today. "Who loves ya?" has many different answers attached to many different people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home