Name:
Location: midwest, United States

I was raised in a large family in a small house. My father died at a young age and my mother handled the eight of us with grace,humor and respect for our individual talents. My siblings ground me; I kept my name when I married to honor them,our mother and the common bond we share. My childhood neighbors were genuine people who were kind to me in so many little ways that I felt truly comfortable to be completely me. My husband is my partner at home and at work. Our children are growing into young adulthood and their transformation continues to amaze me. As an adult I've tried to hold fast to my roots while letting my branches shoot out in many directions. I went into medicine because it allows me to express so many parts of my personality while aiding others. Laughter has been my ally in times of joy and stress. God is very real to me and that relationship brings me strength and comfort. Yet I would not try to force my experience of God on others, that's their work to do. I truly believe that good can be found in every situation, even in suffering.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

"Do over"

I delayed today's dose for the last hour or so but now I'm plugged in and will soon know how I'm going to do on 2 grams of Rocephin daily. This kind of procrastination is unusual for me. I'm the type who sizes up a difficult situation and then proceeds to conquer it. I'm more inclined to jump than stand at the edge and fret about the fall. I don't mean to imply that this is the only way to approach such problems, it just happens to be my method of operation. That I've hesitated about the Rocephin says a great deal about my ambivalence. I want to get well but wish the price wasn't this high. Yesterday a friend said she hoped that my gains would be worth feeling lousy from the antibiotic. Well, there isn't much of a choice here; without the meds I would certainly get worse and there's no hope in that pathway. So I've jumped.
Right now I'm tempted to ask God for a "do over". I have always said that I haven't met a person that I would wish this ordeal on but lately I've been looking around for one. Lacking that fiend I wish this illness would be lifted from my shoulders. I'm sure other people have wished away their medical problems; doesn't work that way, bummer. As kids, my friends and I took our games seriously. Someone might get bad breaks but we reasoned that is simply how things go- tough luck. Rarely, someone would ask for a "do over". When that happened we would mentally weigh all of the variables and issue a decision. We were stern judges but not heartless and occasionally a "do over" was granted. If that happened to me now I would consider it a miracle. I believe in miracles but am not counting on one.
Lyme is making me tougher but not colder. When I return to my patients I'll have more compassion to offer an fewer medical absolutes. I will seek medical methods to grant more "do overs".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home